We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

I live on my own – can I still be a Supported Lodgings Carer?

Yes, this will not preclude you from being a carer

I’m in my 50’s – is that too old?

Not at all – We have Supported Lodging carers of all ages.

Do I need a big house?

No, it doesn’t matter if you live in a flat or house, if you rent or own your home. All young people must have their own bedroom,  however at the start of the process we will visit your home to make sure it is appropriate. We would ask that the young person has access to the communal area of the house and also their own front door key.

Can I still work?

Yes, being a Supported Lodgings Carer does not rule you out of carrying on with full or part time employment.

Can I have pets?

Having pets is not a barrier to becoming a Supported Lodgings  carer and can often provide young people positive experiences.  This will need to be considered when we are matching you with young people, and a health and safety check will be completed to ensure that there is no risk to them.

Do I need to be able to drive?

No you do not need to be able to drive.

Am I employed by Aberdeen City Council?

No, you will be considered as self-employed and will need to register yourself as such. You will also be required to register to pay National Insurance contributions

What checks are carried out?

  • PVG Checks on potential foster carers and Disclosure Checks on anyone else in the household over the age of 16 years
  • Medicals – carried out by your own GP
  • Local Authority Checks in addresses you have lived since the age of 16 years old
  • Three personal reference checks
  • Health Visitor/school checks for your own children
  • Ex-partner check if children were involved
  • Employment checks if involved with children or vulnerable adults
  • Health and Safety check of home
  • Pet questionnaire.
  • Any other appropriate checks where applicable

Can same-sex couples become Supported Lodgings Carers?

Yes – we do not base our decisions on sexual orientation.

Do I need any other training?

You will be asked to undertake:

  • First aid
  • Child Protection
  • Safer Caring
  • Adult Protection

However, we are able to offer a wide range of training opportunities and we would want you to become confident in trauma informed practice, the impact of trauma, loss and attachment and an understanding of how best to support young people navigate the changes they are going through.

Training needs will be reviewed on a regular basis with your allocated worker who will help you identify appropriate training opportunities to promote your knowledge and professional development.

Back to top